Skip to main content

The country petitions Theresa May to give it up - and yet on she flounders

THE QUESTION is, between Prime Minister Theresa May going into the EU Summit yesterday (Thursday) with the plan of extending Article 50 until June 30th, and her leaving the EU Summit with the news Brexit had been delayed by a mere fortnight to April 12th, what did Mrs May do to shrink the time frame to such an extent that it mimicked cash being drained through a daytime quiz show prize totaliser? As usual the answer lies not in what Mrs May did, but rather what she did not do.
Her address to EU leaders was, according to feedback, "90 minutes of nothing" as she failed to convince them she had a plan to avoid a No Deal Brexit, should her own deal, inevitably, be voted down by Parliament. An insider commented: "Asked three times what she would do if she lost the vote, she couldn't say. It was awful. Dreadful. Evasive even by her standards."
After several hours, the EU decided "she didn't have a plan so they needed to come up with one for her". They agreed April 12th would be the new March 29th - the new cliff-edge. During this fortnight all options will be on the table including an ability for the UK to ask for a longer extension period. On being asked how long that could be, Jean-Claude Juncker replied: "Until the very end", which judging by how we all feel, could be next week, next month, or never.
One would imagine, ordinarily, that an individual in Mrs May's predicament would welcome any potential get-out-clause. The fact Mrs May has rejected a petition to revoke Article 50 signed by some 2.5 million people and climbing - predominantly those prompted into some form of action following her "breakdown" on live TV on Wednesday (when she blamed MPs for everything) - is what - nonsensical?
Mrs May's spokesperson said: "The Prime Minister has long been clear that failing to deliver on the referendum result would be a failure of our democracy." This Reporter doesn't know about you, but Mrs May's spiel sounds increasingly out-dated.
Meanwhile, in a one-off collaboration the TUC and the CBI have come together to jointly warn Mrs May that she must make urgent changes to her approach to Brexit as the country now faces a "national emergency".
A joint letter reads that a plan B needs to be drawn up as quickly as possible, continuing: "Decisions of recent days have caused the risk of no deal to soar. Firms and communities are not ready for this outcome. The shock to our economy would be felt by generations to come". But, you've guessed it, Mrs May hasn't taken on board a single word of it.
Meanwhile, not to alarm, but The Ministry of Defence has set up an operations room in a bunker at Whitehall to deal with No Deal Brexit. The preparations are being made under the banner "Operation Redfold" and include readying 3,500 troops for action. It has not been made clear what other preparations are underway or what these troops will be used for but it does appear the line between No Deal Brexit and nuclear war has become increasingly blurred.
What other "good news" to tell...The Tory party's second biggest donor has called for "a government of national unity" to be formed to solve the Brexit crisis. John Griffin, the taxi tycoon, said: "It is like the last world war. We have to get together, agree that we are in the middle of a crisis, and show that we are unified. This is not going to be fixed unless we all get together as a government - and I am talking about all parties. We need to get together as soon as possible. Tomorrow would be good". Mrs May has not been forthcoming with comment.
Time to Google "Anderson Shelter".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meghan and Harry "grin in the rain" and the Kimono-wearing fox killer

FROM Meghan and Harry making their first appearance in the UK together since Megxit, to the kimono-wearing fox killer who appears to have been cleared of all crimes, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Friday 6th March 2020. Yes that's right, This Reporter is declaring this particular news gathering outlet a Coronavirus free zone as we kick off today's headlines with the news Meghan and Harry, otherwise known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have returned to the UK and had their photograph taken together, under an umbrella, in the rain. The couple were in town - London specifically - as they wind up their official duties before bowing out of royal life forever, with last night's paparazzi extravaganza related to their attendance at the Endeavour Film awards. With what we can only assume were fixed grins on their faces as they braved the weather, and the fact these moments under the media spotlight, were exactly what they were talking about when

Children lose sleep over climate anxiety and Boris Johnson's paternity leave

FROM young people surveyed by Newsround revealing their climate anxiety, to Boris Johnson announcing he will "almost certainly" take paternity leave, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Wednesday 4th March 2020. A survey for BBC Newsround has found that children are losing sleep over climate change and the environment. Two thousand children aged between eight and 16-years-old were given the opportunity to answer questions on climate anxiety. And the results overwhelmingly showed that most children  - four out of five - considered the problem of climate change important to them, while three out of five were worried about the impact climate change would have on them when they're older. One in five have even had a bad dream about it. But when asked about the action being taken by grown-ups to tackle the problem, two in five don't trust adults to tackle the challenges and nearly two-thirds say leaders aren't listening enough to young people&#

Government accused of Coronavirus cover-up and Veggie Corbyn booed at kebab awards

FROM the UK Government announcing it will only release Coronavirus data weekly, to vegetarian Jeremy Corbyn presenting an award for the best kebab, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Thursday 5th March 2020. The Government has been accused of withholding information about the spread of Coronavirus after a 70 per cent increase in confirmed cases prompted health chiefs to stop providing daily updates on the location of new infections. Instead they will be provided on a Friday in a weekly round-up. Thirty six new UK cases were announced yesterday (Wednesday) bringing the grand total to 87 people. A former director at Public Health England said the move to weekly updates should be reconsidered to allow the public to make informed decisions. In related news, the Government is putting in place contingency plans, should the virus outbreak become widespread, to close Parliament for up to three months to stop 650 potential "super spreaders". Which gives Th

Life on Mars, "gangster" Peppa Pig and the Loewe dinosaur trainers

So it turns out Button Moon was a lie. This reporter is of course referring to the 1980's children's TV show, which followed Mr Spoon and his family of fellow kitchen utensils, as they day-tripped off to Button Moon in a junk model space rocket. There the family would enjoy all manner of adventures before returning back to earth in time for tea. Mr Spoon made space travel look a sinch. It transpires space travel is not a sinch. NASA, alongside the European Space Agency, is planning to bring Martian rocks back to earth to see whether the planet is inhabited by aliens. However, this daring mission is not a simple matter of astronauts rocketing up to Mars, picking up a few rocks in their space buckets, and returning back to earth that same afternoon. As it turns out, the whole venture is going to be something of a palaver on the basis we are not, as yet, able to land a rocket on another planet and then take back off again. This means bringing the rocks home will take at le

A&E targets to be scrapped and the Brexit Celebration party

FROM government plans to scrap A&E targets, to Nigel Farage's for a Brexit Celebration party, This Reporter brings you the news headlines on Thursday 16th January 2020. Plans to scrap the four-hour A&E waiting target have sparked a furious backlash from medical staff, as well as anyone with half a brain. Government ministers led by Health Secretary Matt Hancock have revealed proposals, which would see patients treated in a, widely up-for-interpretation, "clinically appropriate" manner, rather than sticking to the current targets that aim to see 95 per cent of people arriving at A&E in England, treated within four hours. The plans follow the revelation in recent days that hospitals across the country fell woefully under the specified target over the festive period, to 63 per cent. So the question we have to ask ourselves when we get down to the brass tacks of the matter is, do we really believe the new proposals are in the "best interests of the patient