Skip to main content

Boris Johnson's baby joy and "Just call me Hugo"

FROM the "joyous" news the Prime Minister and his girlfriend Carrie Symonds are expecting a baby this summer, to the comedian-turned-consumer-watchdog who changed his name to Hugo Boss by deed poll, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Monday 2nd March 2020.

Boris Johnson and his girlfriend Carrie Symonds have announced they are expecting a baby and that they have got engaged.
In a blow to singleton's everywhere, this will be the PM's third marriage and - excuse This Reporter one moment while she fetches her calculator - fifth confirmed child. Due in the summer, the new baby will join the likes of Lara Lettuce and Theodore Apollo as part of the Johnson lineage, as well as a few others as yet unknown or unclaimed (allegedly).
It will be the first child of 31-year-old Miss Symonds, an environmental campaigner and former Conservative party official, who made history by becoming the first unmarried prime ministerial partner to live in 10 Downing Street. Congratulations to them.
In further Mr Johnson news, he is expected to chair a meeting of the government's emergency Cobra committee later today (Monday) as the number of people catching the Coronavirus in the UK has "surged" - to quote the newspapers - to 36 over the weekend.
Mr Johnson is expected to say the government will "stop at nothing" to fight the virus, which if taken at its literal meaning could prove interesting, whilst it is also expected the government's "battle plan" for tackling COVID-19 will be finalised and signed off.
This could include dragging newly retired doctors and nurses out of retirement, urging people to work from home - not so easy in the service-style industries - to closing schools and cancelling major public events.
The government has also set up a, in no way hyperbolic, "war room" in the Cabinet Office, out of which will roll a public health campaign encouraging people to wash their hands for 20 seconds or longer.
Meanwhile, a 13-year-old boy who was taunted for his online book reviews has received messages of support from bestselling authors.
Callum Manning, from South Shields, Tyne and Wear, created an Instagram account last week to write posts about some of the books he had read. But he was left "devastated" after other pupils at his new school, so affronted it appears, by his use of downtime, began to mock the reviews in a group chat he had joined, with their literary gems including "you sad weirdo".
Callum said it was the first time in a long while that he actually cried.
His older sister Ellis Landreth came to the rescue and tweeted about the incident, and as a result Callum was inundated by positive messages including from authors Malorie Blackman, Matt Haig and Caroline Kepnes. Callum's Instragram account has also skyrocketed from 39 to 147,000.
And finally, comedian and 'consumer crusader' Joe Lycett has changed his name to Hugo Boss in support of small businesses who have been targeted by the fashion designer.
Mr Lycett, or This Reporter supposes we must now call him Hugo, changed his name, legally, in defiance of the German fashion designer sending cease and desist letters to small businesses and charities who use the name "boss". To illustrate as an example, Boss Brewing, a small brewery in Swansea, had to spend thousands of pounds on legal fees and rebranding.
The 31-year-old posted the official deedpoll letter on his Instragram with the missive "I absolutely and entirely renounce, relinquish and abandon the use of my former said name."
He added he would soon be launching a brand new product as Hugo Boss with all the details to be revealed on a new series of his consumer show Got Your Back on Channel 4.
This Reporter must press home she admires "Hugo's" commitment, but does query whether he would have been so swift to change his name had his gripe been with a brand of slightly less glamorous leaning, for example, "Toilet Duck".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Government accused of Coronavirus cover-up and Veggie Corbyn booed at kebab awards

FROM the UK Government announcing it will only release Coronavirus data weekly, to vegetarian Jeremy Corbyn presenting an award for the best kebab, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Thursday 5th March 2020. The Government has been accused of withholding information about the spread of Coronavirus after a 70 per cent increase in confirmed cases prompted health chiefs to stop providing daily updates on the location of new infections. Instead they will be provided on a Friday in a weekly round-up. Thirty six new UK cases were announced yesterday (Wednesday) bringing the grand total to 87 people. A former director at Public Health England said the move to weekly updates should be reconsidered to allow the public to make informed decisions. In related news, the Government is putting in place contingency plans, should the virus outbreak become widespread, to close Parliament for up to three months to stop 650 potential "super spreaders". Which gives Th

Children lose sleep over climate anxiety and Boris Johnson's paternity leave

FROM young people surveyed by Newsround revealing their climate anxiety, to Boris Johnson announcing he will "almost certainly" take paternity leave, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Wednesday 4th March 2020. A survey for BBC Newsround has found that children are losing sleep over climate change and the environment. Two thousand children aged between eight and 16-years-old were given the opportunity to answer questions on climate anxiety. And the results overwhelmingly showed that most children  - four out of five - considered the problem of climate change important to them, while three out of five were worried about the impact climate change would have on them when they're older. One in five have even had a bad dream about it. But when asked about the action being taken by grown-ups to tackle the problem, two in five don't trust adults to tackle the challenges and nearly two-thirds say leaders aren't listening enough to young people&#

Meghan and Harry "grin in the rain" and the Kimono-wearing fox killer

FROM Meghan and Harry making their first appearance in the UK together since Megxit, to the kimono-wearing fox killer who appears to have been cleared of all crimes, these are the news headlines according to This Reporter on Friday 6th March 2020. Yes that's right, This Reporter is declaring this particular news gathering outlet a Coronavirus free zone as we kick off today's headlines with the news Meghan and Harry, otherwise known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, have returned to the UK and had their photograph taken together, under an umbrella, in the rain. The couple were in town - London specifically - as they wind up their official duties before bowing out of royal life forever, with last night's paparazzi extravaganza related to their attendance at the Endeavour Film awards. With what we can only assume were fixed grins on their faces as they braved the weather, and the fact these moments under the media spotlight, were exactly what they were talking about when

This Reporter's Weekly News Journal - Nudity, Tied Votes and Floods

Monday 1st April 2019 and news-based April Fools gags are indistinguishable from regular reportage. The British are knackered having lost an hours sleep due to the clocks springing forward. None are so "knackered" however as chief government whip Julian Smith who in interview with the BBC said the current Cabinet had shown the "worst example of ill-discipline in the history of British politics" at a time when the person responsible for political discipline, is him. "I'm knackered," he reiterated. "Dealing with colleagues 24/7, sitting around the Cabinet table trying to destabilise the Prime Minister." Elsewhere, Downing Street, the aforementioned PM Theresa May wakes up from a restless night, a single platitude in her head: "oh bother", as she remembers she still hasn't delivered Brexit. Latest from the DUP runs, should Mrs May bring her deal back a thousand times (likely), they will continue to vote against it every time. Me

Mail Bombs, Ross from Friends and the Dr Marten Boots

FROM the suspected bombs sent out to Trump's critics and Ross from Friends in the frame with Blackpool police, to the resurgence of picket line favourite - the Dr Marten boot, welcome to This Reporter's daily news and style round-up. In the words of many a newspaper columnist, "the rhetoric became real" yesterday (Wednesday) as it emerged suspected explosives had been sent to a host of prominent Donald Trump critics including former President Barack Obama and Democrat presidential nominee Hilary Clinton. The "bombs" were intercepted by the US Secret Service. On the same day the CNN studios in New York were evacuated after a "live explosive device" was found in its mail room. New York police commissioner James O-Neill said the targets may have been selected due to their opposition to Trump. And Trump's constant rhetoric of violence towards his opponents - including most recently praising the "slam-dunking" of a Guardian journalist